[Differential] [Request, 32 lines] D3605: Revert "Do not ask for root permissions when it's unnecessary"

sitter (Harald Sitter) noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Dec 6 10:54:52 UTC 2016

sitter created this revision.
sitter added reviewers: davidedmundson, mart.
sitter added a subscriber: antlarr.

REVISION SUMMARY
  This reverts commit https://phabricator.kde.org/R128:a666712102be7ef4dd48202cc2411921fc4d392b.

  This broke adding new users when not setting realname or adminflag (i.e.
  at present there is no way to create a !admin user at all).

  Distributions, as we are still 3 weeks away from 5.8.5 I'd advise patching
  this to restore working behavior for the time being.

  The problem in particular is that the model gobbles up setData requests to
  new rows and forwards them to newUserSetData which in turn caches them
  until username&realname&admin are present and only then forwards the call
  to accountsservice. By calling setData on-demand the three fields are not
  set unless they in fact all where "toggled" from their default.

  I suggest that the noop decision be moved into the setData itself. In there
  it should be possible to accurately decide whether or not the data
  actually changed and accountsservice needs to be called.

  (Ideally though IMO the collection in newUserSetData should be gotten
   rid of. I haven't had a close look, but creating the user with random
   data for everything but username and then manipulating it on the
   subsequent setData calls should be a more future-proof and reliable
   approach)

  BUG: 373276
  CCMAIL: kde-distro-packagers at kde.org
  CCMAIL: larrosa at kde.org