[Differential] [Commented On] D2610: Make icon follow styleHints

colomar (Thomas Pfeiffer) noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Aug 30 15:52:46 UTC 2016

colomar added a comment.

  > What you say does make sense, but I'd like to note that in KDE4 they did respect the single-/double-click settings (when on the desktop, not in the panel), so this can be seen as "regression" in Plasma5.

  I'd call it an improvement, actually, because now it makes more sense.

  > And I think the problem is that while it is true that they are different from folderview icons technically, for a "normal" user they are probably the same.

  It might be for many, but those who treat a desktop containment like a folderview will have that mental model shattered pretty quickly anyway: For example, a single click still would not select an icon widget like a file in a folderview, because widgets cannot be selected, or clicking on a different widget on the desktop might execute an action immediately, which is inconsistent again.

  If I'd set up Plasma for someone coming from Windows (or any other OS/DE that treats the desktop like a file browser), I'd choose the folderview containment for them so that they can keep their mental model (which does not contain the notion of widgets on the desktop, anyway). If someone chooses the desktop containment, there is no way around adapting your mental model.

REPOSITORY
  rPLASMAWORKSPACE Plasma Workspace

EMAIL PREFERENCES