Selecting a Plasma logo

Andres Betts andres.betts at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 14:45:10 UTC 2016

Hey Sebastian,

Let me explain the reasons about changing the logo and what stage this is
at. In my personal view, after working for some time on coming up with a
new logo proposal, we received a few comments and changes to it that, to
me, had no backing. One idea was shared that others wanted my proposal to
look closer, or have characteristics from the KDE logo.

However, I am not of the preference of changing my proposal and adding more
elements to it, because I thought about this long and hard and reduced the
proposal to the simplest of forms that conveyed a meaning. Adding elements
from the KDE logo, or the last Plasma logo doesn’t seem logical given that
the last logo really had no meaning behind it, so there is not much that
justifies its presence there. Some might argue that it is also about the
public not recognizing the logo and what it belongs to.

“Changes” or modifications that happen “after” the contest is over are all
about simple edits. I consider my current logo to be in “beta” and only
bugs and simple edits could be made. For example, the thickness of a
border, or the sizes of the circles. I am not looking to strikingly change
or modify the logo I created because I consider it to be near final.
However, if others want to make proposals that the Plasma team might like
better, maybe it is a better thing to create original proposals and not
change my proposal to be what you think should be there. If the Plasma team
feels that my logo is not what they would like to have, then let’s not
modify it and find an original alternative created by different artists.

On August 2, 2016 at 8:08:41 AM, Sebastian Kügler (sebas at kde.org) wrote:

On dinsdag 2 augustus 2016 14:11:25 CEST Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On 01.08.2016 15:11, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > So, it looks like there are two variants which people are quite fond of,
> > Ken's modifications of Andy's logo (his fourth), and of Alex's logo (his
> > second).
> >
> > The second has the advantage that it has elements of the KDE logo in it
> > and
> > can therefore be associated with KDE most easily,
> > whereas the fourth has a clearer association with a sun, and its
> > simplicity
> > allows for easy adaptation for different contexts while keeping its
> > identity easily recognizable.
> >
> > The disadvantages of the second one are that the gears become a bit
> > muddled
> > in small sizes and it resembles the gear which is often used as a
settings
> > icon, the disadvantage of the fourth is that it vaguely resembles a
> > speech bubble, reminding some people of an IM application logo.
> >
> > The VDG clearly favors Anditosan's logo, so Ken's fourth (which fixes
the
> > problem of being too "generic" as some of the Plasma team members
> > feared) looks like the one which would sit best with both the VDG and
the
> > Plasma team.
> >
> > Therefore I'd like to propose to go with Ken's modification of Andy's
logo
> > (perhaps with one more round of fine-tuning by the VDG before shipping
> > it).
> > Are there any objections to that?
>
> We've just learned that Anditosan does want to see modifications of his
logo
> in the contest. He is open to modifying his logo after the contest if
> needed, but he'd prefer to modify it himself instead of others creating
> mashups.

Why modify it after a contest? That would make the choice rather pointless,
if
it's going to be different aftwards anyway.

Can you ask him to make the changes and send us the result, so we can judge
based on that?

--
sebas

http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org