A Plasma Vision draft

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Apr 5 09:59:16 UTC 2016

On Tuesday, April 05, 2016 12:17:59 AM David Edmundson wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 11:48 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
>
> On Monday 04 April 2016 17:29:58 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > On Montag, 4. April 2016 15:04:30 CEST Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > > I'm not convinced performant is a word although it seems to be used
> > > for computer jargon
> > >
> > > http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/38945/what-is-wrong-with-the-> > > wo
> > > rd -performant
> >
> > It is clearly jargon. As Jens already said, the question is: Can we afford
> > the  jargon or not? We think we can, but there are certainly also good
> > arguments against it.
>
> I don't like it. How about "nimble", it expresses power and speed in a
> positively sounding adjective.
>
> What I like about  "performant" is it doesn't just mean fast *.
> It covers a broader range of metrics, and the text beneath it in Detail 3
> goes on about code quality and usability which "nimble" doesn't really
> cover in itself.
>
> David
>
> *or at least it would if it was a proper word

I guess that's my gripe: If we create a vision, I'd really like it to be
written in actually existing proper words, otherwise, that is the thing that
distracts me from its meat. (And I guess others with language-OCD as well.)

How about "agile"? (Already has connotations in context of software, and is
overused...)

Otherwise, we can also describe it "... performs well...".
--
sebas

http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org