Plasma uses regular icons with dark desktop theme

David Rosca nowrep at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 06:54:47 UTC 2015

>> given that i still prefer the icons to come from the plasma theme where
>> makes
>> sense,
>> I wonder if we can use the heuristic of having a custom iconloader in the
>> plasmashell process and attempt to use the theme themename-dark on themes
>> with
>> dark background
>

> In my point of view it is not an plasma issue it is an monochrome icons and
> contrast issue. So for me the solution would be never to move all needed
> icons plasma. This would be the same than use app specific icons instead of
> standard icons.

It wouldn't be needed to move the icons to plasma.

What about adding an option for desktop themes to specify a preferred
icon set and then add eg. loadIconPixmap method to Plasma::Theme that
will use custom iconloader?
This way it could be also possible for 3rd party themes to use
completely different icons.

For applications, maybe something like
KIconLoader::global()->setTheme() could work.

David