Plasma Mobile Design (a new attempt)

Jens Reuterberg jens at ohyran.se
Tue Sep 1 10:52:23 UTC 2015

Ok so there has been a proposal for a set of Plasma Mobile HIG's and designs.
It was sent out a while back (or so I thought because something must have gone
weird with my email)... either way here it is again.

The work has been done by Alex L and Andrea del Sarto (VDG's two new core
members and phone wizards) and is very much a work in progress and one of the
many ideas so far. There are too many focus issues to be hammered out still so
remember that all this is very much something that should be taken lightly for
now.

What we need is input from you guys (the people who belong to the "dev" side
of things) - we need to look at a certain set of requirements for Apps to be
able to hammer out a design.

1) We need the apps to respect "bottom and top edges are reserved for the
OS/Shell"
2) We need the apps to handle certain common features the same way (hamburger
menu, yay or nay)
3) We need to see the apps as the main subject instead of something that
should be ticked off a list.

The last one is my personal thing - instead of thinking something like "Oh
Plasma Mobile need a mail app" it should be "What would be a killer app in
Android?" - IE think of an app that would beat other email apps on any
ecosystem instead of just a box to tick for Plasma Mobile.
It should be an app which so redefine what such an app is that we could port it
to Android and iOS and make it more popular than the once already available.
It should be something in and off itself unique, not unique because Plasma
Mobile doesn't have that kind off app - but rethinking the way we see
applications.

This marks the later stages to finishing the App HIG for Plasma Mobile - we're
on the home stretch and need a debate going with you guys.

What do YOU want?