RFC: Put notifications in sidepanel like widget explorer

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 19:46:04 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015, Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday 20 October 2015, Martin Klapetek wrote:
>> > Basically the idea is to reinvent the notifications in Plasma a bit
>> > and create a kind of notification center.
>> >
>> > My plan would be to get a VDG design and then work on it for
>> > Plasma 5.6.
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>>
>> I'm not sure, iirc at a sprint earlier this year we talked about
something
>> like that, but was for all the applets that are right now in the
systray(plus
>> eventually random applets the user wants to stuff here in that
sidepanel).
>> I have tought about it since then, but never followed up on that since i
can't
>> really figure out how it may work.
>> would it be just notifications? would it there be the other applets as
well?

> For now, just notifications. Opening it for other applets would make it
/the/
> new system tray I fear. Although,

Yeah, that was the idea. I would prefer this type of visualization
depending from a containment or biew type rather than just the applet, at
least in its "final" form (doesn't have to be an "hidden panel", it can be
a specific new thing in plasmashell)

Ah, also consider right now the desktop applet is used in the phone as well
(but the desktop/phone specific parts can be isolated in sprcific platform
specific files)
--
Marco Martin