RFC: activity pager in kdeplasma-addons

Tim Climis tim.climis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 20:53:49 UTC 2015

> The only problematic part I see is that it communicates that activities are about windows which we > are trying to avoid.

> It would be nice if it:
> - showed the activity icons on the pages
> - had activity configuration (kcmshell5 activities) in the context menu instead of add/remove
> virtual desktop :P
> - I would rather not have add/remove activity context items
> - showing window 'ghosts' might not be necessary. And it will not be possible to have on wayland I
> guess.

I tried posting about this one that I wrote over the summer, but since the code wasn't anywhere public, it never got anywhere.  I've rectified that now.  This plasmoid is based on the system tray, rather than the pager - making it more analogous to a bucket of activities (like the bucket of background processes).  I feel like it solves the problems listed above fairly adequately, while still providing a compact way of switching activities.  I have missed the ability to drag windows from one activity to another, but I also haven't found right-clicking on the window title and reassigning the activity to be too onerous.

https://github.com/tclimis/activityTray

I haven't tried Marco's yet to see how it differs from mine, but plan on doing that this evening.

---Tim