RFC: Put notifications in sidepanel like widget explorer

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 20:16:50 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 20 October 2015, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> Basically the idea is to reinvent the notifications in Plasma a bit
> and create a kind of notification center.
>
> My plan would be to get a VDG design and then work on it for
> Plasma 5.6.
>
> Thoughts?

I'm not sure, iirc at a sprint earlier this year we talked about something
like that, but was for all the applets that are right now in the systray(plus
eventually random applets the user wants to stuff here in that sidepanel).
I have tought about it since then, but never followed up on that since i can't
really figure out how it may work.
would it be just notifications? would it there be the other applets as well?
in the case of notifications, when there is none or just a couple, would there
be a desolate field of emptyness in the sidebar? (and when the panel is at the
bottom, would they be at the top having a long travel distance? or at the
bottom looking strange?and when the panel is in a different edge altogether?
note that on the mac all those questions are far easier, as the panel is
always fixed at the top)

It's for sure an interesting idea to be explored, but has a lot of questions
to be answeredboth on the ui and technical sides

--
Marco Martin