HIG and components API

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 09:33:07 UTC 2015

On Friday 09 October 2015, Aleix Pol wrote:

> One thing I really like about the Material ones is that even if they
> provide a Button.qml component, they also provide the style for it and
> base their button on the one in QtQuick.Controls. This way, one can
> have code using QtQuick.Controls and have the correct look and feel
> without invoking explicitly the used components.

for the components that are in the "default set" we should probably try to use
the qt ones (at least for applications that aim to be multiplatform)
even tough there will always be the future problem of qtquickcontrols2 (i was
toying with the idea of still making them support styles, but this time by
playing with import paths rather than using loaders, to not lose the speed
improvements)

> At a more general level, I think it's ideal if the higher level
> components provide semantic properties (i.e. toolbar, menu) so that
> the controls can adapt by themselves into the situation, rather than
> expecting the application to anchor properly.
> To make a parallelism, this is what made QMainWindow so useful and why
> we ended up using it in almost every QtWidgets application.

true.
the thing is that this probably can go only so far, as higs can require as
they already do, components that don't have anything to do with the default
ones are needed, so an extension becomes needed. You see also in that material
set there are only an handful of components based of the qt ones, all the rest
is custom made.

That's another reason why I think our higs and components shouldn't be that
different from something that could work on Android, because either developers
will use them for one app port that will work on both plasma mobile and
android, or they are pretty much dead on arrival (and i wouldn't really have
much motivation to write them eh)

--
Marco Martin