Fwd: Custom shell and corona

Olivier Churlaud olivier at churlaud.com
Mon Nov 30 15:39:59 UTC 2015

Hi,

Meanwhile I registered on the list. However there is so much traffic
that I am in digest mode.

Le 30/11/2015 15:25, Marco Martin a écrit :
> Hi, resending to you as i noted now you aren't subscribed (perhaps if
> you subscribe for a while would make things faster)
>

> On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 9:08 PM, Olivier Churlaud <olivier at churlaud.com> wrote:
>
>>   - Put some connections between the main app and the plasmoid. I don't know
>> how to do that because I've never really used QML, but I think it should not
>> be to complicated.
>>   -> Question: do we do this by QDbus, or by DataEngine (I think it's the
>> name of the thing)?
> You have several ways, that all are quite simple:
> you can do a DataEngine (how did Amarok1 do? if it was based on
> dataengines they can all be just ported as the api there didn't
> change)
> Or you can have amarok applets using a subclass of Plasma::Applet ,
> which shares a singleton with the Amarok app. Being in the same
> process, everybody can just communicate by reading and writing that
> single object instance (I can tell you the more detailed steps)
Just for your information, applets in amarok were all inheriting from
Plasma::Applet. Now it's a pure functional class (no view in it) and I
think that if we want to let people create 3rd party applets that they
can easily install from KDE-apps, we should stay in full QML-plasmoids
for our applets.

Is it compatible with the Plasma::Applet use?
>> Feedback about plasma-framework
>> =======================
>>   - To add a container, one must use PlasmaQuick::ContainmentView, which is a
>> QQuickWindow and should therefore be toplevel. It's not so good, if I want
>> to put it as a widget in a QDialog or something else. Another class would be
>> good for applications.
> The problem there is that QML stuff can't be directly used in QWidget
> based applications because they are two different kinds of windows,
> you can embed them with
> http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qwidget.html#createWindowContainer
> (not a problem of plasma, it's an issue in the use of QML in general)
I'm already using this function, but what I was pointing out is that the
QML view is a QQuickWindow and coul be a simple Item or something like
this, to be easily added in a simple widget.
>>   - The Shortcuts defined for the desktop are also defined for the custom
>> shell, even with a minimal Shell that contains only
>>
>>       Item { id: root;     property Item containment; }
>>
>> In my case, if I scroll on the QML object it changes my virtual desktop !!
> for both those things it will need a custom shell package that
> disables the shortcut setting dialog and the action plugins (mouse
> wheel, context menus)
> I was thinking to add one ready for this in plasma-framework, so you
> can ignore that for now
Ok: if I can help, please tell me, I can use your branch or create a new
one from this one.

Cheers
Olivier