RFC: Disable DrKonqi

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Nov 16 10:50:01 UTC 2015

On Monday, November 16, 2015 11:26:27 AM Kai Uwe Broulik wrote:
> You do get an annoying "app is no longer working" window with (sometimes)
> options to wait longer or send a report.
>
> Let's have a look at what others do:
> - iOS: just dumps you to the home screen
> - Windows RT: dumps you to the home screen‎, its guidelines explicitly even
> say: do not annoy the user with error messages, if something terrible
> happens just exit, this way the user could immediately resume with his
> other tasks and restart the app manually if he wants to - BlackBerry 10:
> just dumps you to the home screen
> - OS X: App closes, you get a dialog box saying the app crashed
>
> Also Ubuntu's app crash thingie just shows a (useless) passive notification
> saying that something has crashed, now or earlier.
>
> +1 from me. Have the app restart and show a passive notification with an
> option to bring up Dr Konqi with backtrace and opportunity to file a bug.
> For instance, Plasma restarts so fast here I usually just see the panel
> flickering briefly if it crashes. I wouldn't notice if Dr Konqi didn't tell
> me

Perhaps only enable drkonqi for debug builds? That's the kind of backtrace
that should be useful, otherwise the bt would be useless anyway...

I'm not so sure about all this, I do think that backtraces are valuable to us,
and I also think that it would be cheating to just hide the drkonqi window,
but on the other hand, if it improves the user experience, that's good, no?
--
sebas

http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org