RFC: Disable DrKonqi

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Nov 16 09:59:59 UTC 2015

Hi all,

as some might know I got my first Android tablet recently and made an
observation when using it: the quality is extremely bad! I have constant
application crashers. I experience significantly more crashers in the half an
hour usage of Android each day, than on the 10 hours of KDE Plasma running a
devel snapshot. The crashes are in all applications and not some unimportant,
but also some provided by Google.

This made me wonder: why have I never heard about the bad quality of Android?
Why is nobody pointing out when people complain about our quality that Android
is much worse?

And I think I know the answer: when an Android app crashes no window opens to
tell the user that it crashed. It's just "the normal way" that applications
crash. It seems to be fine for the user.

So what if we did the same thing? Don't tell the user that the application
crashes? Just restart it? Could that improve our perceived quality?

Of course DrKonqi is a useful tool, but do we need to show the window each
time? Wouldn't it be enough to send the backtrace $somewhere. We don't need
the description "I did nothing and it crashed" anyway. Also why show it on
Arch, where there are no debug symbols?

What do you think?

Cheers
Martin