Plasma 5 is awesome...and some help required with build instructions

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Tue May 19 10:30:34 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 2:10 AM, Siddhartha <sh.siddhartha at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 May 2015 at 22:58, David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Just setting up on a new machine and thought I'd try following these
>> instructions exactly, the way a new developer would.
>>
>> I got stuck on something I don't know how to solve.
>>
>> Under Kubuntu because Qt is compiled with a hardcoded plugindir for some
>> reason.
>> This means setting QT_PLUGIN_PATH env variables does nothing, which means
>> you'll always be loading any plugins from /usr/ rather than the ones we
>> just built.
>>
>> How did you get round that? Any ideas?
>>

> By using Arch Linux? :P
>
> >I did not do anything special in this regard, so I guess on my system
QT_PLUGIN_PATH is being picked up properly.

Yes, it's only a problem on Kubuntu.

But someone who wrote this must have been a Kubuntu user, there is a list
of dependencies.

It's also solvable by compiling Qt, but I don't really want to have to
force new devs to do that unless I have to.

Btw, you commented out QTDIR in the wiki script, so a few of the later
> variables will have weird paths (QTDIR/plugins=/plugins)

Ah, yes, it's better to have it try to access a folder that doesn't exist.
Thanks, fixed.