Planning merging the single qqml engine

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 19:45:43 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 9:28 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think the branches for the single shared qqmlengine are pretty much ready
> (few cleanups upcoming days), seems pretty stable here.. did someone ran
> the
> branch for a while as well?
>
> In the end i managed to get a single engine for the whole session, views
> included (had to duplicate the View class in plasmaquick and kept the old
> one
> as deprecated for retrocompatibility unfortunately)
>
> the memory save seems pretty good, i *hope* stability improved as well :p
>
> what still uses separed engines are the applet configuration dialogs: this
> is
> necessary because they are supposed to use a different style for the
> qquickcontrols, and being the settings object that decides the style a qml
> singleton (qml singletons are unique by engine), the engine has to be
> different from the desktop/panel. The good thing is that config dialogs are
> instantiated relatively rarely, in most sessions not at all, so shouldn't
> touch too much a "normal run"
>
> For retrocompatibility the applets unfortunately have to specify explicitly
> they can share the engine in their metadata file (or eventual
> plasmapackage:/
> urls break)
>
> at the moment it's using
> X-Plasma-RequiredExtensions=SharedEngine

What does "RequiredExtensions" mean anyway? Is that a new attribute where
you intent to add more "extensions" or does it already exist?
It's name sounds slightly confusing to me. How can a SharedEngine be a
"extension"?

Anyway, with that attribute you let the applet developer OPT-IN in for
shared engine. Setting that attribute can be easily forgotten. If anything,
they should OPT-OUT thus by default use the shared engine.
Perhaps a attribute like this is more appropriate?:
X-Plasma-RequiresOwnQmlEngine=true

or something alike.

I'd definitely go for OPT-OUT (defaults = use shared engine).