Planning merging the single qqml engine

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon May 18 19:28:38 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I think the branches for the single shared qqmlengine are pretty much ready
(few cleanups upcoming days), seems pretty stable here.. did someone ran the
branch for a while as well?

In the end i managed to get a single engine for the whole session, views
included (had to duplicate the View class in plasmaquick and kept the old one
as deprecated for retrocompatibility unfortunately)

the memory save seems pretty good, i *hope* stability improved as well :p

what still uses separed engines are the applet configuration dialogs: this is
necessary because they are supposed to use a different style for the
qquickcontrols, and being the settings object that decides the style a qml
singleton (qml singletons are unique by engine), the engine has to be
different from the desktop/panel. The good thing is that config dialogs are
instantiated relatively rarely, in most sessions not at all, so shouldn't
touch too much a "normal run"

For retrocompatibility the applets unfortunately have to specify explicitly
they can share the engine in their metadata file (or eventual plasmapackage:/
urls break)

at the moment it's using
X-Plasma-RequiredExtensions=SharedEngine

but I'm leaning more on the direction of something like
X-Plasma-MinimumAPIVersion=5.11

I would like to have all set before frameworks 5.11

thoughts?

--
Marco Martin