Good news regarding Qt 5.5

Hausmann Simon Simon.Hausmann at theqtcompany.com
Fri May 8 20:16:49 UTC 2015

Nice - as a plasma user I'm looking forward to the lower memory usage :)

Regarding the url interceptor:

Could you make the feature optional? An applet that needs absolute package:// urls would have to continue to create it's own engine. But using a new constructor perhaps you could introduce new behavior that requires the use of relative urls simply, so that you have to resolve the root item url only once manually in the framework?

The url interceptor is bothersome anyway of you think about it. It is a bare pointer you can set one the engine any time, and at this same time the callback is called from the qml loader thread at - from the gui thread perspective - any time as well. So the callback implementation also has to be thread safe. It probably works by accident if plasma only uses synchronous component loading, but of you enable async loading as an implementation you might run into crashes in the event that the package interceptor isn't thread safe.

Simon