Behaviour of "Show Desktop"

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri May 8 10:40:52 UTC 2015

On Friday 08 May 2015 10:40:38 you wrote:
> > * Put back the pre-5.3.0 behaviour as default,
> > * Re-think the overall interaction of the show desktop feature and the
> > dashboard, especially in terms of modality and common workflow patterns
> > * Reintroduce the new behaviour as option and polish its corner cases
>
> so do i revert to the old dashboard implementation? (it's a lot of code that
> got killed and would need to be reintroduce, urgh :)

Or another alternative is to keep this effect for the dashboard, but the
dashboard alone, since it always was a different beast.
for show desktop applet and hot corners, using the minimize all script, that
even if we well know it has issues, it's a bit less confusing

Then we can switch back when the effect behaves well with windows that are
opened while the effect is enabled.

to summarise, what i gather would be needed is:
* windows are hidden with something else than the minimize attribute, in order
to not lose it
* when a new window appears, that something else does not get applied, and the
window is visible
* when a window gets activated trough taskbar or alt+tab, that something else
gets removed and the window gets visible
* when the effect gets disabled, all windows go visible, but not all, since the
minimized/not minimized state stays exactly as it was before the effect was
applied

* forgot something?

--
Marco Martin