plasma wallpapers

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 12:45:34 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 01:20:35PM +0100, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> >    However do you know how it is with property licenses when used as
> >    backgrounds?
>
> It varies by country, sensible countries make sure that photos of
> public buildings are not restricted by copyright.  Both the UK and the
> US are sensible countries in this regard.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_panorama

That is not true, for example Trafalgar Square or Parliament Square
in London that are not private tourist photos _must_ have a property
release before using it commercially. And there are many such buildings
or landmarks in US and everywhere else too.

> >    Same goes with children or any person on photos,
> >    there you need "model release" (ie. the person's signature that
> his/her
> >    photo
> >    can be used for various purposes).
>
> Personality rights for people modelling is only a US concept, sensible
> countries have no such restrictions.

That is also not true and it's more complicated. Basically, taking a picture
on the public space/street should be safe, but as soon as the person
(and especially children) are the main object of the photos, you do need
to have a license to use those in a non-private way.

All I'm saying is, better stay safe (licensing Golden Gate Bridge for
non-private use is 2000$, getting sued could be very very very
expensive).

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer