Plasma-devel Digest, Vol 84, Issue 78

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Tue Jun 23 14:21:58 UTC 2015

plasma-devel-request at kde.org schreef op 23-6-2015 om 14:00:
> Today's Topics:
>
>     1. Re: Review Request 124151: Add a default icon to
>        notifications popup (Kai Uwe Broulik)
>     2. Re: Review Request 124151: Add a default icon to
>        notifications popup (Philipp A.)
>

> Screenshot
>    https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/media/uploaded/files/2015/06/22/0d8a0ee1-af00-410c-80f1-79190f51daf5__notification-default-icon.png
> No icon notification
>    https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/media/uploaded/files/2015/06/23/06c769be-b5fc-4360-9aac-6f3179601d92__notifications-layout1.png

The action based notification (for Amarok) doesn't look bad at all. It
wouldn't hurt at all to have the actions layouted horizontally either.
Of course that would make it difficult when you have an uneven number
(or a differing number) of actions. A 2x2 action layout would not look
bad. I feel the bottom is a better place for actions. It also depends on
the size of text. You could have a grid-based layout or something that
auto-spaces. I feel even with a single action the bottom would be a
better place.

The very long text notification tester could have more spacing applied
to both the text (bottom and right side) and the icon. The Amarok icon
looks perfectly spaced including the distance to the text. That's
probably because the icon includes spacing in itself. Ie. a transparent
border. The booklet icon doesn't have this, which makes it look oddly
big and crunched in between the text and the sides. Ideally perhaps
you'd have spacing included (or applied to) every image in the sense of
extra information for positioning. I have tried this on my own site but
couldn't choose between getting every icon crafted perfectly or fixing
some default spacing in them and then adding custom spacing to the
icons. (This is a Wordpress site so it is possible to include customary
fields with every media library item). The customary fields allow for
rapid changing and possibly even scaling. Then you don't need to worry
about the actual size of the icons anymore. I would recommend
experimenting with scaling down that booklet icon by 10% and see how it
looks.

Regards, Bart.