kde5 and remote X11 does not work?

Martin Vogt martin.vogt at itwm.fraunhofer.de
Mon Jun 22 13:59:30 UTC 2015

On 06/22/2015 02:59 PM, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Am 2015-06-22 11:16, schrieb Martin Vogt:
>> when starting a remote X11 session with:
>>
>> X :1 -query kubuntu15.04 at domain.com
>>

> Plasma 5 requires as the error message states OpenGL. This should(TM)
> also work through remote X as glx can be forwarded. Depending on the
> actual used hardware it can be problematic, though.

I checked a current Linux with the newest NVIDIA drivers.
NVIDIA actively adds new GLX_ calls and implement new hw accelerated
features for remote X11. But even with this setup it does not work.

But the message "Your graphics hardware does not suport OpenGL .." is
gone with the current driver(352.21). I see a mouse and a black screen.
But no GUI (eg ALT+F2).

> In general I think that remote X is not the best solution any more for
> thin client setups due to the way how toolkits work nowadays. This has
> obviously nothing to do with Plasma 5, the same "problem" also existed
> for Plasma 4 with QGraphicsScene framework being absolutely not
> optimised for remote X setups.

Yes. I think remote X11/GLX has no future, now that wayland will take
over. But I must say, that HW accelerated GLX worked pretty fine the
last ~10 years or so.
Simple visualization with displaylist are fast, even remote.
But nowadays remote X11 is rather uncommon.

For example: The remote query command above wouldn't even work
anymore on ubuntu 15.04. It directly crashes X with a FATAL error,
which shows that noone tested it or take care.

But thanks for your reply. Maybe I should check other protocols.

regards,

Martin