kde5 and remote X11 does not work?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Jun 22 12:59:28 UTC 2015

Am 2015-06-22 11:16, schrieb Martin Vogt:
> Hello,
>
> when starting a remote X11 session with:
>
> X :1 -query kubuntu15.04 at domain.com
>

> I get a lightdm login screen but when starting a kde5
> session I get:
>
> "Your graphics hardware does not suport OpenGL (ES) 2.
> plasma will abort now"
>
> I'm running here ~300 thinclients with remote X11 :(
> I only want to ask if it should work?

Plasma 5 requires as the error message states OpenGL. This should(TM)
also work through remote X as glx can be forwarded. Depending on the
actual used hardware it can be problematic, though. AFAIR the standard
specifies only OpenGL 1.3 as supported, but at least NVIDIA can provide
everything we need for remote support. So it should be possible(TM).

Please investigate whether glx is available at all through the remote
setup. IIRC it's now default off on remote due to severe security
issues.

In general I think that remote X is not the best solution any more for
thin client setups due to the way how toolkits work nowadays. This has
obviously nothing to do with Plasma 5, the same "problem" also existed
for Plasma 4 with QGraphicsScene framework being absolutely not
optimised for remote X setups.

Hope I could give you some pointers on what to look for.
Best Regards
Martin Gräßlin