AccountsService qt binding for sddm, plasma-workspace screenlocker greeter and plasma-desktop kickoff face icon, config by advanced useraccount

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Fri Jul 31 21:33:07 UTC 2015

Thanks for doing this, the kcm_useraccounts has long needed to be replaced.

It was a longstanding todo item to replace it with user-manager which
I've by coincidence just done tonight by using KEMailSettings as well
as accountsservice.

user-manager does much of what you have implemented in your rewrite of
kcm_useraccounts, were you not aware of it?

For 5.4 we should go with user-manager as it's already there but for
5.5 we have a choice.  Could you look at it and work out which one you
think is better?

user-manager has a bunch of bugs and is not well maintained
https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?component=kcontrol%20module&list_id=1282778&product=user-manager&resolution=---

I've looked at your rewrite and found it also needs a bunch of tidying up:
* it doesn’t use KEMailSettings which sets some default values in
kontact and might be used in xdg-tools and elsewhere
* doesn’t set .face or .face.icon which are used by lightdm/sddm
* the unlock button to allow for add/remove accounts seems a bit
unintuitive, at least it too me a while to work it out, maybe the VDG
can suggest something here
* verify password doesn’t show hidden text
* the UI isn't implemented in Qt Designer and the spacing in a number
of places is strange
* delete user account dialog implements its own OK button and uses
incorrect text, the pre-set buttons should be used
* set avatar widget spacing seems excessive
* there’s no way to pick a custom avatar
* why is autostart application configuration here, this seems unrelated?
* adduserdlg is done in the style of a dialogue made in Designer and
implements code in the header but there is no .ui file and it seems
hand written

So plenty of work to be done on either option of user-manager or
kcm_useraccounts, I think whoever steps up to fix the known issues
gets to choose as they are otherwise very similar.

Jonathan