An appeal for continuing with KDE Activities

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Jan 29 14:26:46 UTC 2015

Am Donnerstag, 29. Januar 2015, 11:41:23 schrieb Marco Martin:
> On Tuesday 27 January 2015 20:52:45 Eric Mesa wrote:
> > Hello Plasma Devs,
> >
> > Not sure if this is the right mailing list, but I've been seeing a lot
> > on Planet KDE from people unsure of whether Activities are used and
> > should be kept, etc. So I wrote this specifically in hopes of making
> > sure the devs see how it's being used by regular folks.
> >
> > http://www.ericsbinaryworld.com/2015/01/27/an-appeal-for-keeping-kde-a
> > ctivit ies/
> >
> > Thank you for developing an awesome desktop environment - I enjoy it
> > so much that it makes me sad we don't use it at work. (Well, we'd
> > first have to start using Linux...)
>
> is true that sadly there wasn't a whole load of new development there.
> but in Plasma 5 a re there and here to stay

I am happy to read that.

And I second it: I use activies myself. On the laptop with one screen and
one the workstation at works in two screens. There I have a special
advantage:

I have some apps like mail and KDE telepathy and so on open on all apps,
they are on the left screen usually. And on the right screen I have the
task specific stuff.

Only think I had sometimes, but its a longer time since I last had it,
that after a reboot, logout, relog all windows from all activies appeared
on just one activity, so it lost the assignment. And this is tedious to
clean up.

Thank you to all the developers working on Plasma and working on
activities. I appreciate it.

Ciao,