[kde-promo] Plasma naming scheme

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 16:53:57 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org>
wrote:

> On Tuesday 06 January 2015 14:11:49 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > > Does that make sense to everyone? And if so: Where should we publish it
> > > and
> > > where should we announce it?
> >
> > This nomenclature sounds fine to my ears. Does this need announcement? I
> > think the Dot editors have some wiki pages with these things, but other
> > than that, to my biased self, this is common knowledge / common sense?
>
> Well, if it were clear to everyone, we wouldn't have taken the effort to
> define a naming scheme in the first place. Maybe the VDG is the only group
> which this wasn't clear yet (we were not sure whether to call it "Plasma
> Desktop 5", "Plasma 5 Desktop" or "the Plasma 5 desktop", for example), but
> maybe it's not 100% clear to others, either. The broad nomenclature is
> probably clear at least to people within KDE by now, but we believe a good
> brand communication should be consistent down to details like the ones
> mentioned above.
>
> It probably doesn't need a public announcement, any maybe sending it to the
> two lists I sent it to was sufficient. I'd also update the "KDE Brand Map"
> [1]
> if that's the document which people who do public communication refer to.

Looking at the wiki, it says "KDE Plasma *". Originally we went for "Plasma
by KDE" format
to get further from the idea that Plasma = KDE and make the rebranding
clearer.
Was that dropped? Or just forgotten?

Imho puts a nicer touch to the name than "KDE Plasma" (which still supports
the Plasma = KDE)

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer