Plasma naming scheme

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Tue Jan 6 16:46:31 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 06 January 2015 14:11:49 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > Does that make sense to everyone? And if so: Where should we publish it
> > and
> > where should we announce it?
>
> This nomenclature sounds fine to my ears. Does this need announcement? I
> think the Dot editors have some wiki pages with these things, but other
> than that, to my biased self, this is common knowledge / common sense?

Well, if it were clear to everyone, we wouldn't have taken the effort to
define a naming scheme in the first place. Maybe the VDG is the only group to
which this wasn't clear yet (we were not sure whether to call it "Plasma
Desktop 5", "Plasma 5 Desktop" or "the Plasma 5 desktop", for example), but
maybe it's not 100% clear to others, either. The broad nomenclature is
probably clear at least to people within KDE by now, but we believe a good
brand communication should be consistent down to details like the ones
mentioned above.

It probably doesn't need a public announcement, any maybe sending it to the
two lists I sent it to was sufficient. I'd also update the "KDE Brand Map" [1]
if that's the document which people who do public communication refer to.

Cheers,
Thomas

[1] https://community.kde.org/Promo/Branding/Map