Widget Explorer / Activity Manager Dock type

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Jan 2 08:28:22 UTC 2015

On Friday 02 January 2015 01:56:47 Kai Uwe Broulik wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> while investigating why Widget Explorer and Activity Manager wouldn't accept
> any input often (the filterbox visually being focussed with blinking cursor
> but no way to enter anything) I found that it's using the NET::Dock window
> type.

NET::Dock is the window type for what we in the Plasma world call a "panel".

> That one is used by the panels, too, right? And these don't accept focus, so
> when plasmashell is not focussed (eg. pressing Meta+Q or opening widget
> explorer through the panel context menu) there is no way to get keyboard
> events to the respective sidebars.
>
> Any ideas? I guess they should stay "Dock"? (Works fine when I remove that
> afaics)

A dock window can get focus. I do not think that there is any code in KWin
which would prevent it, but I would have to check again. Anyway an application
can force focus by going down to X11 level or using the KWindowSystem wrapper
for it. Normally applications are not supposed to do it, but on a workspace
level that's totally fine.

Cheers
Martin