theme mixing

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Feb 9 13:04:45 UTC 2015

Hi Pedro,

On Sunday, February 08, 2015 12:10:12 Pedro Rosado wrote:
> I don't know if this is the right place, but I wanted to suggest something.
>
> KDE is by far the most modern and efficient desktop I've came to know (not
> dissing all the others), but regarding customization it's falling a little
> behind. Compared to gnome-look org, KDE look feels abandoned and there
> aren't many themes available at all, most are not even online anymore (host
> site doesn't have the file anymore). Most themes work like a charm on
> plasma 5, it's not like gnome that breaks a theme everytime it's updated.
>
> So, could the kde development theme  give end users a tool to combine or
> make their own themes with a user friendly interface? I've tried myself to
> make a kwin theme - only found despair and wasted time looking inside svg
> files (I'm an end user, not an IT guy :c  )
> Also, it would be nice to have all those themes shared if you want to, so
> that the whole community can use them. Instead of searching themes on the
> settings (that most times doesn't work because the files aren't hosted
> anymore at kde look.org), users could have this "customization" tool that
> allows users to search and create themes and share them into a repo or
> github so that anyone can find them and use them, independent of distro (as
> long as you are using kde)

> - Able to share and download the themes from the desktop app
> - kde kicks ass

You can mix-and-match workspace themes in systemsettings, go to "Workspace
Theme" -> "Desktop Theme" -> "Details". This allows you to combine elements
from different themes convienently in the UI. If that doesn't allow you to do
what you'd like to, it indeed comes down to managing SVG files and combining
them into a new theme. You've already found that out, it's a bit fiddly, but
so is anything advanced enough to satisfy the complex need for a complete
theming system.

As to the quality of kde-look.org, we cannot do much about it, since it's a
community-run site, which doesn't receive much love in terms of maintainance
and content curation, unfortunately.

sebas