Noto fonts screw my system, please stop forcing fonts upon me!

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 16:08:42 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Philipp A. <flying-sheep at web.de> wrote:

> Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> schrieb am Di., 22. Dez. 2015 um
> 17:13 Uhr:
>
>> Avoiding top-posting makes your emails a bit easier to read.  I took the
>> liberty to rearrange.
>>

> if i have only one paragraph to reply to i can’t be bothered to click the
> “full editor” button
>
> KDE doesn't ship nor install the fonts that bother you, we can't do
>> anything
>> about it.
>>

> sure, i just wanted to get your input on how to solve it.
>
> and maybe you could clarify what fonts KDE depends on. in my
> understanding, that’s not “the contents of the noto-fonts repo”, but instead
>
>    - all fonts in that repo of the “Noto” font family
>    - the Noto CJK fonts (or not?)
>    - Noto Emoji
>
> maybe you could specify that somewhere?
>
> best, philipp

So the noto fonts are not to blame, just the noto package is.
That does match with what i said and a couple of people said in here, i
just didn't expect it to end up this way.
- I've said: "just having the fonts installed cripples chrome"
- Some in here: "The fonts are fine and the best choice there is"

I'm quite happy i know that now. This means that i can fiddle with
fontconfig settings and just blacklist those that are installed by the noto
package, but are not the noto fonts.
And that means i can drop my fork!

KDE - plasma - should most certainly clarify what it means by noto and
inform distribution packagers of that. You seemingly expect that noto is
just the noto fonts, that is apparently not the case  As it currently
stands, installing the font package breaks (read cripples it, it's still
readable) chrome rendering on archlinux. Archlinux itself is not at fault
here, they do exactly what one expects, the noto package from the official
site gets installed as is. Period. The package just installs fonts that
mess things up (Arimo, Cousine, and Timos) that need to be blacklisted and
aren't by default.