Noto fonts screw my system, please stop forcing fonts upon me!

Philipp A. flying-sheep at web.de
Tue Dec 22 14:03:19 UTC 2015

there is one part of this issue that bugs me as well, but it’s rather an
unfortunate coincidence than anything else:

   - KDE requires Noto as a baseline default font. that’s fine as nobody
   forces me to use it.
   - the freetype project ships a metric-aliases config that defines a
   number of aliases for common fonts such as arial and helvetica, among them
   Arimo, Cousine, and Timos as aliases for some microsoft fonts i don’t like.
   that’s fine because i don’t have to install the alias fonts.
   - google have a noto-fonts repo containing Noto fonts and Arimo,
   Cousine, and Timos <https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-fonts/issues/596>.
   that’s … weird, but they can of course do what they want in their repo.
   - arch directly packages that repo’s content as noto-fonts without
   excluding the three non-noto fonts
   <https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/47425>, which is fine because that’s
   what the repo and font distribution package is called
   - the frameworkintegration package depends on “noto-fonts”, which is
   fine because it’s the only Noto fonts package availabe for arch.

all of those individually are perfectly resonable decisions, so without it
being anyone’s fault, i’m forced to fiddle with my fontconfig to blacklist
the three metric alias fonts if i don’t want to see it.

:(

Takahiro HASHIMOTO <kenya888 at gmail.com> schrieb am Di., 22. Dez. 2015 um
13:53 Uhr: