Noto fonts screw my system, please stop forcing fonts upon me!

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 09:20:34 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 9:31 AM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org>
wrote:

> On Friday, December 18, 2015 9:26:20 AM CET Mark Gaiser wrote:
> > I'm out of options here! I don't like forking (as I said before) but I
> just
> > see no other way to solve this in a somewhat stable manner for me. Let me
> > add this yet again since it seems to be overlooked over and over. Just
> > having the font installed (not configured) gives me these issues.
>
> Why do you need to fork to change the config option? That's what I don't
> get.
> It's not even a dependency in frameworkintegration, it's just an
> information
> that this is recommended.
>
> Change your local font settings to whatever you like. There is no need to
> fork
> a source code package for that.

Apparently the issue i'm having is not something you folks observe.
So here are screenshots. Mind you, I've deliberately taken those under
openbox with no KDE_SESSION environment variables set. It's a clean openbox
session under a clean user.

And to make it even more fun, this is under a vmware session, not my
regular desktop. So i definitely isn't "just my desktop" with this issue.
It's much broader then that.

With Noto package installed (NO settings changed anywhere, just the package
installed):
http://i.imgur.com/mWYkN7N.png

Without Noto package:
http://i.imgur.com/FyRnRGx.png

You can quite clearly see that the noto package adds a lot of extra spacing.
If that wasn't bad enough, it's also slightly offset from the top. Meaning
the font is not exactly in the middle of the area where it should be, but
slightly lower then the middle.

That is what i see and what i can't stand!