Noto fonts screw my system, please stop forcing fonts upon me!

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 00:47:09 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 1:24 AM, Eike Hein <hein at kde.org> wrote:

> On 12/18/2015 12:31 AM, Mark Gaiser wrote:
> > You will hear me when my workflow is severely interrupted and when i
> > find the cause of it.
>
> plasma-devel at kde.org is not mark-gaisers-workflow at kde.org.
>
> Bug reports go to bugs.kde.org. User support happens on the
> user list and in the KDE Forums.
>

> > Sorry, but that is just a bogus argument for the sake of arguing.
> > It's very obvious and expected that a sample of a specific font is meant
> > to represent how the font looks when installed.
>
> Ah c'mon. Take a look at the glyph data with FontForge and then get
> out a ruler and check the SVG again. I don't have time to prove to
> you the SVG isn't equivalent to Qt and CSS line height defaults.
>
> Here's Google Chrome overlaid over the SVG though, re default
> intra-glyph and intra-line spacing:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/FlnxgGp.png
>
> http://i.imgur.com/6d0sBup.png
>
> Did you even check this stuff or is it OK if it's my time ...?
>

> > And there i see too much spacing between the lines.
>
> I don't, and I know this stuff pretty well.
>

> > There it's somewhat fine, but that isn't the default! And that can't be
> > influenced as user of the font.
>
> It's the default.
>

> Cheers,
> Eike

Frameworkintegration is hereby forked [1].

I will keep this one in sync with frameworkintegration as it is on the kde
servers, but obviously without those fonts.
Once Noto starts to work normally the fork can die.

I do this because i do not want one more desktop breakage that is caused by
fonts installed by that package, and this seems to be the easiest way to
accomplish that.

Don't get me wrong, i don't like to fork anything and have never done so
before.
But i have a real issue that i want to get solved. Solving it "upstream"
doesn't seem likely, so forking it is the only way.
The other way was how i did it before, remove the fonts when i notice that
they had been installed again, but that can slip through and cause days of
irritation.
Now i just make my own archlinux packages and blacklist the default
frameworkintegration, that should do the job for me.

[1] https://github.com/markg85/frameworkintegration