Noto fonts screw my system, please stop forcing fonts upon me!

Jens Reuterberg ohyran at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 00:37:33 UTC 2015

Hello,
concerning fonts - the choice of fonts is always a tricky call. Aside from an
exact, and more feature complete version of Oxygen which sadly doesn't exist,
Noto is the perfect choice for us.

It's a very well made standardized font and the only other contender was the
Firefox Fira IIRC and that had other issues (as in being to visually tied to
Firefox and Mozilla where as Noto was not visibly connected to Google).

As for the technical bits I can't reply because that is sadly not my forté, as
for the visuals I am sorry that you experience these problems and as someone
who doesn't experience them and can't duplicate them there is a large issue
here from a visual design bug standard.
But from a design perspective the work done on the Noto Font is top class
meassured by any metric available and it also provides a good testing ground
for the font as that font is present in a very very large chunk of places.
You claim that it is unusable on larger screens except smaller form factors
like mobiles can easily be argued by the very same reasoning why we picked a
well liked, well made and standard sans font like Noto in the first place. It
exists on many many machines.

I realize this isn't the answer but as you are well aware we give every single
option possible from our POV to the end user via distros to change the font,
to edit it out. The size is negligent by modern standards, the choice
available and the choice of Noto as a standard font is a well founded one
without any clear alternatives that cover as many different symbols and
alphabetical variants as that.
We haven't forced anything down anyones throat.

Now many of the more technically adept people have fairly replied, repeating
the fact that from a technical standpoint no one is forcing you to use
anything. But that again is their debate with you, not mine.
Since no better alternatives are presented (if you know a font that is seeing
more active upkeep, with as good a spread or better and with more suitability
as a standard font - this is your time to speak up), the choice of Noto was a
necessity and one made carefully with plenty of deliberation, then I consider
this from a VDG standpoint, a closed subject.