Noto fonts screw my system, please stop forcing fonts upon me!

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu Dec 17 21:09:27 UTC 2015

Hi Mark,

I think you might not be entirely clear on what we're doing.

It's not a forced dependency/font, it's a default font setting
which compells distro packagers to pull the font packages in as
dependency. However you can change the font in System Settings
to your liking.

As for why Noto: It's designed for screens (both low and high
ppi), very high-quality and has very broad character set support,
enabling a high aesthetic standard consistently across a wide
variety of locales for the first time on Linux. In particular
in scenarios of mixed character set text this is a huge impro-
vement on the earlier situation (where glyph substitution often
puts typefaces that don't fit next to each other). It's also
under active ongoing development and has significant resources
behind it, and some of the leading type foundries around the
planet.

As for your link to the website wrt/ line spacing, please
note that the style sheet of that website forces a line height
of 1.71429 (1.0 being normal), i.e. the line height there isn't
representative of normal text layout using Noto.

> Best regards,
> Mark

Cheers,
Eike