Noto fonts screw my system, please stop forcing fonts upon me!

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 20:51:16 UTC 2015

Hi,

I've (somewhat mildly) already stated that i do not like the oxygen fonts
at all! Just having those installed always screws up "something" on my
system.

So what i used to do was simply removing the oxygen fonts once an update
had the nerves to install it again. Which would be the frameworkintegration
package since it requires those fonts.

However, recently frameworkintegration began to depend on the Noto fonts.
That single change made me search for about 2 days for possible reasons why
my chrome fonts where messed up [1]. Now that i know that it's
frameworkintegration, i really do blame you folks for depending on that!
Really, why depend on that font! And i don't care for reasons like "we
can't satisfy everyone". I can see no valid reason for Plasma - or rather
breeze - (that installs frameworkintegration) to depend on any font. What
is wrong with the fonts that the system has? Let the user decide, really!
don't force a font upon them, i'm serious about that!

Fonts are a very delicate piece of software and are being used _everywhere_
not just plasma. A choice of you folks to force a font upon the user will
influence how other applications look. That is not up to you to decide. You
cannot test all applications and see the impact the font might have so just
don't even go there and stay away from fonts! You can recommend a font,
that's fine.

But in all seriousness, how can you even consider the noto font? Have you
even seen it on the site? It has massive spacing between lines [2]. It's
just not fit for everyday desktop usage in my opinion. Most definitely not
on non retina displays. It "might" be better suited for small high
resolution displays (phones, retina tablets, 4k displays in ~24 inch).

I urge you, please reconsider the required font madness in
frameworkintegration!

Best regards,
Mark

[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1587249