Evolving Appdash

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Tue Dec 15 20:24:52 UTC 2015

On 12/15/2015 08:27 PM, Marco Martin wrote:
> if available even just by shortcut, it should strictly be lazy loading as i
> wouldn't like something expensive that is loaded and then quite hidden (at
> this point one could put the toolbox entry in). and in this case i would also
> like to be able to just right click->alternatives it and load another
> contaiment to have the old style independent-widgets dashboard (in any case,
> if is in, must be replaceable/removable).

Yeah, I agree it should be lazy loaded.

Depending on whether it's even needed performancewise, it should
probably use an algorithm like:

- Initially, don't load it until first activated
- Pre-load it at session logon when it was loaded at previous logoff
  slash never unmoaded
- Unload it after 96 hours of non-use

That takes care of "I never used it" (-> never loaded), "I tried it
once and didn't like it" (-> unloaded after some time even if someone
never reboots) and "I use it regularly" (preloaded and fast).

Cheers,
Eike