Evolving Appdash

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 19:27:28 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 15 December 2015, Eike Hein wrote:

> I think elevating the visibility based on touchscreen presence could
> make sense. How do you see this in practice?

edge swiping only in touchscreen, toolbox/context menu entry maybe only on
touchscreen, hot corner i would say just if explicitly configured (would end
up calling a dbus show dashboard method i guess)
I would have it not loaded at all and have to "enable dashboard" in a kcm
somewhere if a touchscreen is not detected but that's buh, debatable.

> In the a-d matrix from the original mail:
>
> a) Shortcut always available
> b) Toolbox entry conditional on touchscreen
> c) Hot corner action always off by default
> d) Applet never added by default
>
> Sound OK?

if available even just by shortcut, it should strictly be lazy loading as i
wouldn't like something expensive that is loaded and then quite hidden (at
this point one could put the toolbox entry in). and in this case i would also
like to be able to just right click->alternatives it and load another
contaiment to have the old style independent-widgets dashboard (in any case,
if is in, must be replaceable/removable).

> Appdash from edge swipe sounds really cool. Sounds like this would
> be combined with the hot corner KCM?

it should probably be something kwin-driven, as an invisible window to take
the input is probably too invasive (should ideally take touch events but be
completely transparent to mouse)

--
Marco Martin