[Plasmoids] Can I write to file from a pure QML plasmoid?

kdea k.dea at mail.com
Mon Dec 14 19:46:54 UTC 2015

Hi. One week ago I asked a question at forum.kde.org, but nobody responded, so I'm now trying here in the mail list, please redirect me to the appropiate list if this one is not the correct one. I'm copying the question...

Hi, I'm creating a QML plasmoid that will write data to a file in disk. I have searched a lot, and it seems that it is not possible with a pure QML plasmoid. Web pages say that the only way to do it is by adding C++.

The problem with adding C++ is that, as I understand, the plasmoid will have to be compiled, so I will get some binary files that won't work in all Linux distributions. In other words, the plasmoid will be less portable: I will have to create a different file for each Linux distribution before posting the plasmoid to kde-apps.org, or the user will have to download the source code and compile it for his/her distribution. It is a mess.

I think that file I/O should be possible from a pure QML plasmoid. It is a core functionality for a high percentage of plasmoids. If you make it difficult (by requiring the C++ mess), less programmers will create plasmoids, so less plasmoids will be created.

In fact, file I/O was possible in kde4 from a pure javascript plasmoid, by using the "Local IO" library: https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma4/JavaScript/API-LocalIO

I really would like to listen that file I/O is possible from a pure QML plasmoid in kde5. Or at least that developers are already working on a kde library to make it possible.

Thank you

(I didn't know if I should post it at "Brainstorm" forum or here, but I wanted to ask first)