Plasma Mobile Vision, intended personas & meeting notes

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Tue Aug 11 18:33:05 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 11 August 2015 11:13:57 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > Some minor things:
> >
> > It provides a seamless experience across multiple devices.
> >
> > I guess your primarily mean devices running other Plasma "Experiences"
> > (Desktop / PMC / whatever the future brings)
> > Or do you want to explicitly include more?
>
> No, but we also don't have to. We can try to be perfect and exact in the
> wording, but then the text would be three times as long, bringing it to a
> length that "nobody on the Internet reads". I think it's clear, if you think
> about it, that this integration also depends on other devices, so that the
> integration is not a given.

I agree with Sebas that we don't have to fear someone pointing a gun at our
chest and saying "But you said 'devices', so I demand a great experience even
with my Windows PC!".
That said, we still can change it to something like "across Plasma-powered
devices" if we would like to emphasize Plasma as the common element connecting
them.

So, while I would not include Plasma in that sentence just for the sake of
correctness, I _would_ include it if the community feels that it strengthens
our vision.

> Also, don't confuse the vision statement with a marketing product vision.
> The vision statement is mainly inward-facing, so we can look at it and
> measure our deeds against it, not so much outward-facing. For marketing and
> communication, we'd likely reword these things slightly, either for
> cover-your-ass reasons, or to make it more eloquent, interesting or catchy.

Good point. If we indeed want two different versions, however, we should come
up with the outward-facing one soon as well, so we don't have to hold back
talking about it publicly.
Plus, we have to be aware that even the "inward-facing vision" will be public,
even if it's only on our Wiki.

> > Also the wording is not perfect. It sound like plasma mobile will be on
> > multiple devices that provide a seamless experience when used together.
>
> That's what we wanted to express, though. :-) Think what we can bring t the
> table with kdeconnect, for example...

As stated above: If the community could identify even better with a vision
that explicitly emphasized a cross-Plasma experience, that's fine.

> > > Plasma Mobile implements open standards, and -- unlike Android -- it is
> > > developed in a transparent process that is open for the community to
> > > participate in."
> >
> > I am undecided on the "unlike Android" part. Could you share your
> > reasoning
> > for including it?
>
> We decided to include it since it's important to set us apart. We've used
> the template that Andres and Thomas presented during Akademy, and went from
> there. I understand the reservations to name a competitor, but then, this
> is exactly what people will ask and what we should make very
> straightforward to understand.

> In a TV ad, I'd probably refrain from naming Android as competitor, in a
> vision statement, it helps to understand the independence and privacy
> awareness that we're trying to communicate.

Explicitly stating your main competitor(s) can help to focus on what you aim
to measure up against, so it can make sense to make it clear.

That said, this merely expresses the view we shared at the end of our meeting
(as there were good arguments for it), it's not set in stone.
If the majority of the community would prefer not to explicitly compete with
Android, (for example because you feel that we would target an audience that
doesn't currently use Android), we can still change it or leave it out
completely, of course.

I'm glad that people seem to agree with the vision at large. We can still
fine-tune some bits here and there if we agree that this would improve it even
further.
We can still update it at any point in time, though. A vision is a living
document that should always reflect how the community feels at a given point,
after all, not something you write once and then must never touch again.