Splitting (Muon) Discover from muon repository

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Tue Aug 4 23:44:07 UTC 2015

> On 04.08.2015 18:29, Aleix Pol wrote:
>> [...]
>> Anyway, I'd like to leave 2 repositories:
>> - muon, that will have muon-packagemanager
>> - discover, that will have discover and updater. I'd also like to drop
>> the Muon part from Discover eventually as well and leave Discover as
>> is.
>

> I like the idea.
> But maybe packagemanager and updater go hand-in-hand, and therefore should
> both be called "Muon"?

The package-manager manages packages, as in "technical components the
distribution is made of", while Discover shows
applications/fonts/codecs/..., elements which are - unlike packages -
immediately comprehensible to the user. While an updater belonging to
the package-manager will of course offer package updates, an updater
in Discover will primarily show which apps/codecs/... will be updated.
So while they are related, package-manager-updater and
Discover-updater have difrerent target audiences and a different
featureset.

> Doesn't the updater also update individual packages not listed in Discover
> because they dont qualify as "Software/Apps"?

Jup, but Discover could also do that. E.g. GNOME-Software folds all
the package-updates it can't map to an AppStream component into a
"System Updates" field, which is clickable to show details about which
updates would be applied. I think a similar solution would work in
Discover as well. Maybe the design team has some ideas on how to
present those non-app updates to the user, if at all.

> Discover could be independent though aka the "preferred software center of
> choice under Plasma".

That's the thing that I am hoping for :) I've heard from Fedora that
adopting Muon is a pain and currently doesn't really work, splitting
out Discover could help a lot.

Cheers,
    Matthias