Splitting (Muon) Discover from muon repository

Clemens Toennies starbuck at netrunner-os.com
Tue Aug 4 22:07:30 UTC 2015

On 04.08.2015 18:29, Aleix Pol wrote:
> Hi,
> One of the things discussed in the Muon bof was the possibility to get
> muon (as in the muon package manager) in a separate repository than
> Muon Discover/Updater.
>
> The background is that muon-packagemanager is using a different
> technology than the rest and the target audience is probably quite
> different, so it doesn't really make much sense to keep them together.
> Additionally we're struggling to find maintainers for the
> muon-ṕackagemanager and I'd hope it would be easier to adopt it if
> it's alone, rather than with another slightly related project.
>
> Anyway, I'd like to leave 2 repositories:
> - muon, that will have muon-packagemanager
> - discover, that will have discover and updater. I'd also like to drop
> the Muon part from Discover eventually as well and leave Discover as
> is.

I like the idea.
But maybe packagemanager and updater go hand-in-hand, and therefore
should both be called "Muon"?
Doesn't the updater also update individual packages not listed in
Discover because they dont qualify as "Software/Apps"?

Discover could be independent though aka the "preferred software center
of choice under Plasma".

Greetings, Clemens.