Plasma 5.3 changelog
hein at kde.org
Mon Apr 6 19:07:17 UTC 2015
we're freezing this week, so it's time to gather the changes
for the promo folks again. I'll start with the noteworthy
stuff in my components:
* The Desktop and Folder View containment codebases were
unified, and have seen performance improvements, code
cleanups and porting to newer Qt APIs.
* The Desktop and Folder View containments have improved
widget handling, fixing bugs e.g. in the size calculation
for the widget placeholder rectangle shown while moving
* The Desktop and Folder View containments have a new
experimental "Press and hold" mode for widget management,
available as an option on the new "Tweaks" config page.
In this mode, widgets can be moved after pressing and
holding anywhere on the widget, and the widget handle
will only be shown after press and hold rather than on
hover. When this mode is enabled, unlocking the desktop
will show a helpful instruction notification (which can
be dismissed forever from the popup).
* The Desktop and Folder View containments have a new option
to hide the Desktop Toolbox, available on the new "Tweaks"
(^ This last one is not yet pushed, but will be by freeze
* The rubberband selection code in Folder View was rewritten
and now selects icons as soon as the rubberband touches the
bounding box of icon and text label, instead of testing for
the midpoint a the folder item.
* The Recent Documents and Recent Applications sections in
Application Menu (Kicker) are now powered by KDE activities.
This e.g. means Recent Applications will pick up on apps
launched outside the menu provided those other launchers
hook into KDE activities as well.
* Application Menu (Kicker) has a new Recent Contacts
section that lists IM contacts in order of recently talked
to, with realtime status icon information. As this requires
a new release of KDE Telepathy (or other messengers) that
enters conversation info into the KDE activities db, this
section will still be disabled by default in 5.3.
* There's config (and context menu actions) for enabling and
disabling the Recent * menu sections.
* The context menu of application items (including sidebar
favorites) in Application Menu (Kicker) now shows per-app-
lication recent documents entries, also powered by KDE
activities. This makes it very easy to relaunch an app on a
* Keyboard navigation in Application Menu (Kicker) was over-
hauled with many subtle behavior and bug fixes.
* Improved subdialog focus handling in Application Menu
* Task Manager and Icons-only Task Manager now show entries
for recent documents in the context menus of launcher items,
making it very easy to relaunch an app on a recently-used
* Task Manager and Icons-only Task Manager gained a new
config option to disable switching tasks by mouse wheel
More information about the Plasma-devel