Qt 5.4 for workspace

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Fri Sep 26 18:27:07 UTC 2014

On 26.09.2014 19:34, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 7:30 PM, David Edmundson
> <david at davidedmundson.co.uk <mailto:david at davidedmundson.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Definitely a good question.​
>
>     I assume you have a specific feature in mind?
>     I certainly think it would be OK to have branches with 5.4 stuff in
>     them.
>

> Or #ifdef...

Sure, but the problem then is a multiplication of codepaths that
need testing / the need to test against both major versions, be-
cause Qt 5 and the stack below it just aren't always rock-solid
yet.

So while I think Martin made a very good point and am overall
inclined to agree with him, I also think there's a real upshot
to sticking to one major Qt version right now, and that means
keeping up with upstream (i.e. use what will be stable when we
release 5.4, because some will end up running it against 5.4).

As for concrete 5.4 stuff I'm interested in - there's new API
to render QQuickItems into offscreen memory buffers, which would
be really useful to make icon DND in Folder more efficient and
a little more reliable. The current code ends up downloading
delegate textures out of video memory to assemble the drag
pixmap because all other approaches are foiled by private API,
and it's just really ugly and hard to ifdef since it needs
changes both on the QML and C++ sides.

Rock and a hard place ...

> Aleix

Cheers,