Plasma Media Center and external USB drives

Shantanu Tushar Jha shantanu at kde.org
Thu Oct 23 12:06:43 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

While we are busy implementing the new PMC design[1], we revisited the
question on what happens to USB devices. Finally we think we will offer the
following options to the user when a USB device is detected-

1. Mount the USB device and ask Baloo to index it so that the media show up
in the usual PMC (Video/Songs/Pictures) screens. (This option might not be
preferred if the user, for some reason, doesn't want the drive to be
indexed and be available to other apps as well)
2. Mount the USB device and let the user browse through files and play them
manually.

Just like there are two options, we have two questions that we needed some
usability thinking around-

1. Do these two options make sense? Or can someone think of even better
ways of handling this?
2. How (and where) do we display the options to the user, in the new mockup?

Ideas?

[1] https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=121705#p316799

--
Shantanu Tushar    (UTC +0530)