The usage statistics [kactivities, baloo, ktp, plasma]

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Tue Oct 21 21:35:10 UTC 2014

On 21.10.2014 22:55, Vishesh Handa wrote:
> I'm not sure how this would work -
>
> How would kamd know about when an application has been created? Would it
> be getting notified by the package manager or monitoring all of /usr/
> itself? Maybe Ivan can chime in since he probably had an implementation
> in mind when he suggested it.

Actually, let me expand on context: This feature has
a real precedent IIRC; Plasma 4's Kickoff gained the
ability to highlight newly-installed apps at some point,
which was probably lost in the Plasma 5 port. I'm actually
not even sure if it was ever upstream or a Kubuntu-
specific patch, but I think I saw it there once when I
installed a live CD in a VM. It was probably fashioned
after the similar feature in Windows, and has been re-
quested for inclusion in Kicker by at least one down-
stream, Netrunner Linux.

As I recall, this was implemented inside Kickoff itself.
I *think* it maintained a timestamped lists of new apps
when discovering them as it build up the menu structure
on startup or so ...

I'm guessing something similar would be an avenue to
getting it back - KAMD could diff ksycoca scans, or
react to ksycoca change signals, and slam newly-dis-
covered apps as CREATED into its db ...?

Cheers,
Eike