The usage statistics [kactivities, baloo, ktp, plasma]

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Tue Oct 21 16:17:09 UTC 2014

Hey guys

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As promised, starting a discussion on how we can use the usage statistics
> gathered by kactivitymanagerd (kamd in the rest of the text). And the
> design
> of the API to cover the use-cases.
>
> The point is to discuss all of this and put the summaries on the etherpad
> page
> at https://notes.kde.org/p/KActivities_Usage_Statistics

I looked into the suggested use cases yesterday. I'm not sure where we
would use some of the listed use-cases. Could someone help with the overall
picture?

Below is the list from notes.kde.org along with my comments.

> Recently used applications across the entire system.

Potential Use case: I can only see this being used in KRunner when
searching for applications. However, KRunner already has an inbuilt
mechanism for that.

> Most frequently used (high usage score) applications across the entire
system.

Potential use case: Automatic favorite detection for Applications.

> Recently installed applications.

Potential Use Case: Displaying it in Muon? But then the package manager has
this information so would kactivities wrap around this?

> Recently used documents across the entire system.

We already have KRecentDocuments which stores .desktop files in
~/.local/share/RecentDocuments. It's integrated in our file dialog as well.
Though I do actually doubt the usefulness of this list. How do want to
improve this?

> Most frequently used (high usage score) documents across the entire
system.

I'm not too sure where this would be used.

> Recently used documents by $application.

Definitely useful. Each application currently stores this in their config
file. What were you planning on adding?

> Most used (high usage score) documents by $application.

I'm not too sure if anyone but the $application would use this list.

Perhaps it's application's decision if they want such a feature and they
can probably implement it quite easily. For example - I'm not too sure
about a videos applications wanting the most recently viewed videos.

> Metadata for the recently/most used documents, so they can e.g. be
grouped by type.

* I'm not too sure what you mean. We already have a recently used documents
list, and this can be grouped based on type
* Where would this be used?

> Application Launching Interface (ALI) search history.

* You mean like the krunner search history that was there in KDE4?

> Grouping things together by analysing the statistics (more advanced - API
does not need to cover it).

> Recently used contacts
> Frequently used contacts

Our contact list and person list can definitely use something like this.

--
Vishesh Handa