Baloo - Not Indexing everything by default

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Oct 16 12:15:15 UTC 2014

On Thursday 16 October 2014 13:20:57 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> Hey guys
>
> While Baloo performs better than Nepomuk. It does have its share of
> problems - mostly large text files, and high IO usage. Additionally, users
> on linux often seem to have the craziest files. Currently, we do not index
> plain text files which do not have a `.txt` extension, because otherwise we
> land up indexing genome data and other strange files. (Actual bugs)

the txt being genome data doesn't surprise me[1], but I find it sad that now
txt is disabled by default (I use them quite a lot for blog posts). As genome
data is really huge wouldn't it make sense to go rather for file size or abort
the indexing if it's obvious random gibberish?

Restricting to the XDG dirs is certainly something which could be done, but I
also find this unfortunate - my setup is older than those dirs ;-)

Cheers
Martin

[1] Having worked in a lab which did genome sequence analysis and using Plasma
on all systems.