Baloo - Not Indexing everything by default

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Thu Oct 16 11:20:57 UTC 2014

Hey guys

While Baloo performs better than Nepomuk. It does have its share of
problems - mostly large text files, and high IO usage. Additionally, users
on linux often seem to have the craziest files. Currently, we do not index
plain text files which do not have a `.txt` extension, because otherwise we
land up indexing genome data and other strange files. (Actual bugs)

I've been thinking about actually disabling the file indexing by default.
However, that might be too radical. Instead, we could only index -

* $HOME - Not including any subfolders.
* Desktop, Documents, Videos, Pictures and Music. All of these are xdg user
directories.

Gnome Tracker actually does something quite similar.

Comments?

--
Vishesh Handa