wallpapers on lock screen

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Oct 13 15:10:53 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> this is already 5.2 stuff, but just to discuss.
> we still have one burned-in fixed wallpaper for the lock screen, so at this
> point it should get a bit of attention.
>
> one thing i'm not sure to do if i want to have again the possibility to put
> widgets in the lock screen as it was in kde4. there may be interests on it,
> but on the other hand i am not seeing much complaints that at the moment is
> missing.
>
> on either case, should be very easy to recycle the complete wallpaper
> mechanism of plasmashell, even the qml only wallpapers (that if animated..
> yay, screensavers!)
>
> just to see what path to take do design and implement correctly, if just
> boring wallpapers or full widgets.

To be honest, I like it best if the designers (that is, the lookandfeel
package creators) get to design the whole thing, because the look is part
of the lookandfeel.

I understand that some people really like that idea though, I think the
best would be to have some kind of checkbox in the wallpaper chosing dialog
or lockscreen kcm that says use wallpaper for the lockscreen but I'm still
afraid that this will complicate the code, given that it will require
moving wallpaper-rendering code over to the l&f theme.

Aleix