Stress testing KWin's screen handling

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Nov 26 07:19:26 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 25 November 2014 16:28:16 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 of November 2014 13:17:28 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I spent some time on screen management in KWin today and got it to the
> > point where it doesn't fail any more no matter what I try. So please
> > everyone using multiple screens and especially dynamically plug in and
> > out, please give a try to the patch set in [1]. Please ensure to have
> > latest master as it contains a crash fix for a crash triggered by the
> > patch set.
> >
> > Short summary of the changes in the patch set:
> > * uses XRandR instead of QDesktopWidget
> > * uses KWin internal information about overall screen geometry instead of
> > relying on the information in the X11 screen structure.
> >
> > The second part is the code I added today. My testing showed that
> > unplugging a screen gives us proper XRandR events so KWin's internal is
> > up to date, but the X11 screen information is wrong. So when we partially
> > used the one and partially the other the rendering was just horribly
> > broken. Now it's all based on the KWin internal information and I
> > couldn't get the rendering broken any more.
> >
> > When changing screens please be patient. It takes time to settle the
> > changes. Especially plasmashell takes quite some time on my system to
> > render correctly again.
>
> Coincidentally, I just merged my KScreen redesign, which should make this
> faster.

sounds like I need to trigger kdesrc-build ;-)

> > I hope that it doesn't fail for others and we can get the changes in to
> > improve the situation.
>
> So far it's much better than before, but still it sometimes happens, that
> after screen reshuffle, window decorations get detached from the windows and
> moved elsewhere. It just happened to me, after plugging in the 3rd screen:
> http://pub.dvratil.cz/kwin-bug.ogv, but I'm not able to reliably reproduce
> this.

ok, that still sounds like a rendering error. A few questions:
* does qdus.org.kde.KWin /KWin supportInformation report correct screen
information?
* does xrandr report correct screen information?
* does restarting compositing fix it?

For three screens I'm completely out of testing possibilities. I don't have
three screens and even if I had I would not be able to connect them.

A kingdom, a kingdom for unit testing xrandr.

Cheers
Martin